Brushing With Orthodontics
Be sure to brush your teeth right after every meal and before you go to bed. It's best to use a fluoride toothpaste to help fight cavities. Your orthodontist may prescribe a fluoride mouth rinse to help prevent cavities. Try to brush like this:
- Start by brushing the outside of each tooth at least 10 times.
- Then brush where your gums and teeth meet, using a circular motion.
- Brush the inside surface of each tooth at least 10 times too.
- Brush the chewing surfaces of your teeth last.
Eating Tips With Orthodontics
While you are wearing braces, you can eat almost all of your favorite foods. Please stay away from these troublemakers:
- Sticky foods like gum, taffy and caramels
- Hard foods like apples and carrots (cut them into pieces)
- Crunchy foods like corn chips, popcorn and nuts
- Sweet foods like cake, cookies and candy
Flossing With Orthodontics
Because your toothbrush won't reach between your teeth, brushing alone won't keep your teeth clean and healthy. Flossing can help. A floss threader, available from us or a pharmacy, helps you floss with braces on. Floss once a day, like this:
- Thread floss through the threader and slip it up behind your archwire.
- Pull the floss between two teeth and up under your gum margins.
- Rinse with lots of clean water, and watch your teeth and braces sparkle!
Fluoride Use For Orthodontics
Use a fluoridated toothpaste. Your orthodontist may prescribe a fluoride rinse if necessary.
Do I continue to see my dentist for regular visits during orthodontic treatment?
Yes, you will need to continue to see your dentist for regular checkups.
Does orthodontic treatment hurt?
There may be a little discomfort after adjustments, but Tylenol or Advil can usually remedy any discomfort.
How long do I have to wear my braces?
We let our patients know their estimated completion date. We also let our patients know that if they miss or reschedule appointments, don't wear their elastics and do not cooperate, it will take longer.
How long is full orthodontic treatment?
Treatment is 18 to 30 months, depending on the difficulty of the case and amount of treatment needed.
What is a bite plate?
A bite plate helps to correct a deep bite, and it keeps you from biting into your lower braces.
Why do you need braces if your teeth are straight but the bite is off?
Orthodontics isn't only for pretty teeth. A good, healthy bite helps eliminate other health problems in later years. It also helps save teeth from wearing.
How much do braces cost?
Every mouth is different. There is no standard fee. The doctor needs to do an exam to evaluate orthodontic needs on an individual basis.
Can the fee for orthodontic treatment be financed?
Yes, there are several different payment options. Please call our friendly staff at Azari & Zahedi Dentistry at 904-992-8900 for more details.