February, a month full of new possibilities! There are so many things to celebrate this month. The most notable, of course, is Valentine’s Day! Yes, Valentines Day, a day dedicated to celebrating love, happiness, and appreciation. With COVID restrictions, this year will be a little bit different, and can be just as memorable as those past. Since we all should be staying at home as much as we can, here are some simple ideas to make this Valentine’s Day your best one yet!
Celebrate with Your Sweetie
Are you and your Valentine stuck in a basic day-to-day routine? Here’s 3 sweet and simple ideas for a fabulous date night:
- Pretend it’s your first date, and kick things off with one of you ringing the door bell! Take a long drive and enjoy a picnic at a pretty park. If the weather isn’t nice enough to sit outside, keep things toasty in the car. Pro Tip: pack a warm drink like tea, cocoa or coffee in a large thermos to share.
- Dinner for two! Order in from your favorite local restaurant or create an easy gourmet meal together at home. This can be as expensive or budget friendly as you like. Keep it cheap and spice things up with aromatic herb combos like garlic and rosemary or thyme, cloves and orange peel. Pro Tip: splurge on dessert.
- Game night! From board games to a simple deck of cards, the options are endless. Need something a bit more exciting? Play video games together. Pro Tip: winner gets to control the TV, and the looser makes dessert.
Valentine’s Day Ideas for Kids
Tired of virtual learning and being locked up for almost a year? Time to shake things up with these 4 family friendly activities:
- Themed Meals! Quick and easy breakfast: heart shaped pancakes OR keep it simple and let the kiddos doodle with their own icing pen. Lovely Lunch: grilled cheese with tomato soup OR finger sandwiches and strawberries. Simple Supper: pizza. Order in, make your own personal pies, or just bake some pizza rolls. Decadent Desserts: build your own cookie or ice cream bar. Pro Tip: even the littlest of hands want to help. Get the kids involved in making and cleaning up!
- Get Crafty! If glue sticks, glitter, and foam cutouts are too ambitious, keep it simple with crayons and colored pencils to make Valentine Cards for each other and neighbors.
- Share the love! Gather everyone together and sit comfortably. Have everyone take a turn saying what they love and appreciate about each person there. Pro Tip: this is fun to do during meals, and a great way to encourage family conversations.
- Relax! Have a family movie night. Vote on Valentine-themed movies like Be My Valentine, Charlie Brown, Beauty and the Beast, or The Princess Bride.
Celebrate with your pets
Show your fur babies some EXTRA love this V-Day. Take that extra long walk, buy that special treat they looove but can’t have often. Take them a bath, brush them out, and spring for a new toy.
Celebrating solo – NO PROBLEM!
Valentine’s day is about YOU! And, the perfect time to indulge and pamper yourself. There’s a quick list to jump start your Me-Day:
- Foot massage bubble bath soaker.
- Face mask — from charcoal based and firming to plumping and brightening, you have options!
- Watch your favorite movie (or binge your favorite show). Whether it makes you laugh, cry, or everything in between, enjoy!
- Splurge for dinner! What don’t you get to eat often? What’s that restaurant you’ve been meaning to try? If you’re ordering in or making a three course gourmet French meal, enjoy the experience and top it off with a fancy drink like champagne OR a cherry in your sparkling water.
However, you celebrate Valentine’s Day this year, relax, enjoy, and make it special because you really can!